Friday, May 9, 2014

Bout of Books 10.0 Sign-up & Goals

Hey, everyone!

So I'm finally done with the semester! It's been rough, but I've made it! Anyway, I thought the best way to kick of the summer would be to attempt the Bout of Books read-a-thon again! Here is the official blurb from the Bout of Books Blog:

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

As some of you may remember, last year I failed epically at Bout of Books. I don't think I even I finished a book during that week. This year, despite all the reading I have done for classes, I really am looking forward to reading some over the summer. My game plan to counteract all of the reading I've done recently for school is to not ready any books from now until Monday when the read-a-thon starts. I think that giving my brain some time off is much needed and will help prevent burnout. Plus, I'm going to busy this weekend with packing to move out of my apartment, graduation on Saturday, and Mother's Day.

As for the week of the read-a-thon, I have an job interview on Monday, plan to still be moving out Tuesday and Thursday, and a BBQ on Wednesday. So I will busy but not as busy as I generally am during the semester. In order to see whether or not I read my usual amount of books, I did a little guessing as to how much I read during the semester. I figure I read roughly 100 pages a day (probably less, but this is a nice even number). This is roughly equivalent to 500 pages a week, divided between two books; since we usually don't finish books, I'll be based off page count. So if I read more than 500 pages, I'll consider myself successful. 

Here are the books I have lined up for this. Note: I may deviate from these if I desire, but I think this encompasses most of what I'm looking forward to reading now that school is out.



#1 Allegiant by Veronica Roth
I got this book over Christmas break, and I have been so excited to read it yet have not had the time to properly devote to it. This seems like the time. I've been fortunate in avoiding spoilers so far, so hopefully I will be able to until I finish it.

#2 The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
I bought this book over the summer and just haven't had the time to read it since then. I've only read Pivot Point by her, so I'm excited to read more of her work.

#3 The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
I read some of Plath's poetry in my Modern British Poetry class last fall and loved it, so I thought I would enjoy her novel. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it is different from her poetry.

#4 Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro 
My professors keep bring up Alice Munro in class and how fantastic she is, plus one of my fiance's family members mention her as well. So when I went to Half-Priced Books and this was the only book they had by her, I thought I should pick it up and see if I like her.

I'm really excited to be blogging/reading again and am hoping Bout of Books goes well this year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment