Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Allegiant by Veronica Roth Review

Photo from Goodreads
Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Published:October 22, 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?


Review in one word: Wow. Phenomenal. 

I absolutely loved this book. I'm not even sure where to start with this review. Let's just look at all the things I liked. 

One thing I have found rare in the books I have read is a couple that fights and stays together. I find this to be very refreshing, as usually the scenario would be to fight, get back together, stay happy forever. Roth made their relationship feel like a real relationship, not just glamorous and happy. Through the trials and tribulations, they choose to be with each other.

I'm going to try really hard not to spoil the ending, so I'm going to be really vague in this next section. The way I saw people reacting to the ending led me to believe what happened would happen. And while I was hoping I was wrong and was sad, the ending was executed beautifully and I applaud Roth for her writing. 

As for things I didn't like, some of the characters introduced in this book where a little stagnant. David seemed like a stereotypical corrupt leader, and Nita seemed like the usual pretty rebel. It also felt like it was just one big incident after another at times, which is understandable for the tumultuous time these characters are going through. But at times in the first half it felt like we were just moving from one major plot point to the other.  

One thing I have found really refreshing about this series as a whole is that it deals with the complexities of human nature. I mean, the characters choose based on which aspect of human nature they most value. There are many beautiful ideas  throughout this book about love, grief, and bravery. Basically, everything that makes us human is found in this book, which I think is why I like it so much. 

Overall, I would highly recommend this series to anyone who is interested in dystopians, young adult literature, or the complexities of human nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment