Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Banned Books Week Post

Apparently, because I like books I am obligated to make a Banned Books Week post. So here is goes.

I really, really don't care. I'm not pro banning books, but I fail to see why we need to make a big deal about it. I could understand banned books day, but a week is just a little excessive. Plus, all these books get famous for being banned, not for having high quality material. Like Twilight. Really guys? We're going to promote Twilight as banned book? As if everyone hasn't already read it. Most of the banned books are read in school for English class, hence the reason they rushed into the limelight to be banned. I'm looking at you, The Sun Also Rises, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Catcher and the Rye, The Great Gatsby, 1984, The Color Purple, The Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, just to a few. Some have sex in them. Some have violence in them. Some have sex and violence in them. It's pretty much the same with television.

Also, they sometimes ban books so that you will actually read them. Funny story, they banned Silas Marner  so that the teens would actually read it. And guess what? They did.

Reading a banned book does not make you cool or rebellious. Especially since it probably isn't banned in your area. Are you doing something against the law? No. Reading makes you cool, kids. No matter what you are reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment